Pages

29 May 2009

cookies for friday

I occasionally tend to think I am allergic to gluten. This has not been proven by doctors, but I have experimented with a "gluten-free" diet and it feels great. One thing I had a hard time giving up was baked goods! I absolutely love baking, so played around with different flours and ingredients in order to get the right sweetness. Currently I tend to still bake with unique ingredients trying my best to stay away from the white flour and white sugar. Yesterday, my cousin showed me the recipe for a wheat-free vegan chocolate chip cookie (not completely gluten-free)...I tried them out last night and they are great!

Here's the recipe for you to try this weekend!

1 stick vegan butter/soy margarine (114 grams)* — room temp
1/2 very tightly packed cup light brown sugar (114 grams)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 scant teaspoon Kosher salt
1 egg replacer**

1 cup barley flour (120 grams)
1/2 cup oat flour (40 grams)
1/2 cup toasted pecans, chopped (50 grams)
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips or 3-4 oz vegan chocolate, chopped ***

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. and line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper.

Beat the margarine/butter and sugar together until creamy. Beat in the vanilla, baking soda, and salt, making sure leavenings are evenly distributed. Beat in the egg replacer. When well mixed, stir in the barley flour, oat flour, toasted pecans and chocolate chips.

Shape the dough into 6 equally size balls (about 3 oz each if you have a scale), then put the balls onto the cookie sheet and pat gently to make 6 2 inch rounds – the cookies will spread as they bake.

Bake for a total of 18 minutes, stopping half way to turn pan. Let cool on cookie sheet for 5 minutes, then carefully lift from pan and set on cooling rack to cool completely.

Makes 6 big cookies or 12 minis

*Earth Balance Buttery Sticks are a good vegan choice

**Per the directions on the back of the Egg Replacer, I used 1 ½ teaspoons Egg Replacer mixed with 2 tablespoons warm water

***I used Guittard’s new extra dark chocolate chips which seem to be vegan as I don’t see any dairy on the label.


Share/Save/Bookmark

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails